Thursday, June 29, 2017

A Deep River Year - 2017

"You can't go home again," young Thomas Wolfe entitled his classic novel. He elaborated that we can never return "back home to places in the country, back home to the old forms and systems of things which once seemed everlasting but which are changing all the time – back home to the escapes of Time and Memory." I have found that to be true in so many ways. The last time back in my home town, I drove past the spot where our house once stood on a... lovely street lined with tall elm trees. The trees are gone, thanks to the blight of Dutch Elm Disease, and the house is too, due to the need of a nearby college to have a parking lot. 

Other things are gone, too, perhaps more ephemeral, but nonetheless sad for me. I can't for the life of me find one of those playground merry-go-rounds--the kind with bars to hold on to as some big kid races around the outside trying his best to spin somebody off into the dust. It was joy on a summer day to ride with friends, hair flying. Presumably insurance liability concerns have done away with those things. And try to find a pick-up neighborhood baseball game in the summer. The diamonds are empty once school lets out presumbaly because there are no adults to organize the games. Parents don't want their young kids riding their bicycles around town unsupervised, where mischief and delight can happen. I could add to the list nickel ice-cream cones, black Switzer's licorice, double-feature movie matinees--and don't forget drive-in theaters where you could get a whole carload of people in for a dollar on "buck night," and for free on other nights if you could fit them in the trunk.


Missing

We still let the milkweed stalks grow
at the edge of the yard,
and now they are full of great
purple clusters of flowers,
scenting the afternoon air
and waiting futilely
for just one monarch butterfly
to come and rest.
Those orange and black winged creatures
once filled our summer world,
but they are missing, now.
And where are the swooping bats
which once dived through the dusk
for green apples tossed upward
by laughing children?
I long for the buzz of honeybees
on fields of clover,
and the magical flashing of fireflies
as we raced to collect them in jars
so that they would flicker golden light
into our dark bedroom dreams.
They all seem to have gone, somewhere,
except in the museum of my heart,
where still children fly in circles
on spinning merry-go-rounds,
and butterflies rise on the breeze,
and nothing good is ever lost.

--Timothy Haut, 2017

2 comments:

  1. I NEED MY EX BACK DESPERATELY EMAIL DR. ISUAKA THROUGH THIS EMAIL
    DOCTORISUAKA@YAHOO.COM

    HI AM Micheal Russo! from Australia. with this great tears of joy and happiness in
    my heart today I want to give an unlimited thanks to this man Called Dr Isuaka. I am happy
    today because my wife is now back with full of love, My wife left me for another man,
    just because we had a little misunderstanding. she left me and promised that she will never come back
    to me again. i cried all day looking for a genuine spell caster to help me bring her back.
    Then i saw a testimony share on the internet by miss Karen. i email him and told him my problems
    with my ex wife, and he promise to bring her back home within 2 days. indeed he is wonderful
    he help me to get my wife back within 2days which he promise and my wife return to me and
    promise to love me forever and beg me for the pain she caused me. I will forever be grateful to
    you Dr Isuaka and i will not stop to publish your name on the internet for people to see how truthful
    you are. And I want to say to everyone on this site that I will always remain thankful to this man Dr.
    Isuaka for all he has done for me,My wife is back with love,caring,truthful and he promise to love me
    forever.I have made a promise that every body I know will never have a relationship problem, via email
    (doctorisuaka@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I NEED MY EX BACK DESPERATELY EMAIL DR. ISUAKA THROUGH THIS EMAIL
      DOCTORISUAKA@YAHOO.COM

      HI AM Micheal Russo! from Australia. with this great tears of joy and happiness in
      my heart today I want to give an unlimited thanks to this man Called Dr Isuaka. I am happy
      today because my wife is now back with full of love, My wife left me for another man,
      just because we had a little misunderstanding. she left me and promised that she will never come back
      to me again. i cried all day looking for a genuine spell caster to help me bring her back.
      Then i saw a testimony share on the internet by miss Karen. i email him and told him my problems
      with my ex wife, and he promise to bring her back home within 2 days. indeed he is wonderful
      he help me to get my wife back within 2days which he promise and my wife return to me and
      promise to love me forever and beg me for the pain she caused me. I will forever be grateful to
      you Dr Isuaka and i will not stop to publish your name on the internet for people to see how truthful
      you are. And I want to say to everyone on this site that I will always remain thankful to this man Dr.
      Isuaka for all he has done for me,My wife is back with love,caring,truthful and he promise to love me
      forever.I have made a promise that every body I know will never have a relationship problem, via email
      (doctorisuaka@yahoo.com

      Delete